Tuesday, December 18, 2007

In With the New and Out with the Old





I went in the Apple store this past weekend. I have never seen a retail store actually shine from the outside. As I slowly wandered (and drooled) around in awe of the macs, I felt as if I was at Olympus resting at the feet of deities. With each step I took in the luminous environment, the idols became larger and larger until I found myself fiddling with 24 inch iMac. I have a G5 at home and I remember thinking I had it made when I bought it roughly four years ago. Now I feel like I should be squinting as I type this.

There is so much to know, so many devices and programs out there. How am I suppose to get my hands on them? I am a student, a mother, an artist and an office manager. How can I afford to keep up with the Joneses, or should I say Jobses. I suppose a good way of looking at it is that new technology can only take us so far and individual creativity takes us the rest of the way. It sure would be nice to have both though.

1 comment:

forker girl said...

Luminous environment indeed --all those glossy screens; I started to feel odd about my preference for the matte screen, the non-glare LCD.

Is that a photo of the computer you're currently using? And putting its photo under the temporarily current luminous model --an inferiority complex is surely on the way--

--I still have an Apple PowerPC that looks similar to yours, though mine is very pre-G5 days, and is a museum piece in my home, not used, and incompatible with any work any of my family does with a computer.

The hard drive of my PoerBook G4 recently failed, so I'm getting a replacement MacBook Pro that has already been ordered, and this means it's probably going to be obsolete as of 15 January '08 when those Jobses you mention make a big announcement.

Thanks for reminding me (since I didn't wait just a few more weeks before placing my laptop order) that "new technology can only take us so far and individual creativity takes us the rest of the way. It sure would be nice to have both though."