Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Process



First I determine what it is I walk to talk about in a piece. In this particular piece I have decided to discuss being a mother. An idea for a piece first starts with a photograph. Sometimes I go out and take a roll of film with the intention of collaborating the images in a design to create new work. I had this photo of my son from over the summer, and I just think it is such a perfect capture of him. He is communicating with me through his eyes and he is so very happy. Of course I had a good deal of negative space to deal with once I place him at the very left side of the composition. I needed an element that was appropriate for the feeling the piece encompassed, but also it needed to be something that would float the eye around. I chose the bubbles for exactly this purpose. The piece is simple and hopefully speaks for itself. It is about childhood and innocence. After I created this design I laid it out on steel and it is etching as we speak. I think I am going to keep the final product black and white, because for one I have not done a black and white piece, but for two I believe its subtleties will preserve the elegance I wish to resonate. We'll see..

No comments: