Monday, October 8, 2007

Art Exhibits


I went to a couple of art openings this past Friday. I actually have not been to as many as I would like due to my toddler needing all my extra time. I have a piece in a show at the Ann Arbor Art Center. The show is called "The Annual: All Media Exhibition". A show with such a diverse offering, permitted one to see how wonderful being an artist is. I was standing on the second floor looking at a large photograph that had been extremely saturated and I was thinking about what a clever idea the piece was. I would have never thought to do what that artist did, but the artist found their voice and now whenever I see an image like that I will know it must be them. Artwork is like fingerprints, every one is unique. An artist's work becomes their own personal identity. Some may absorb a style of another artist through inspriation, but it could never possibly be the same. My piece was on the first floor of the gallery. Such a small creation next to larger manifestations. It looked so meek and could perhaps even get glanced over. As I stared at it, I could envision the years ahead of me consisting of progress and work. I have been chipping away at this for as long as I can remember, and I love every minute of it. I once read that "art is a journey, not a destination." This quote may seem cliche, but its sincerely is undeniable. I have no endpoint in mind for my work, I do it for the process and for the revelations that unveil themselves with each piece. Something else that I want to share with anyone who reads this (if anyone even reads this) is the other artist I went to see Friday night at the Washington Street Gallery. I have included an image of one of the pieces that is on display there currently. The artist, Alvey Jones, shares beautiful and laborous pieces. His artwork reminds me of shadow boxes filled with secrets and memories. I especially appreciate the mixing of medium. He reaches out to all the senses with his piece. He paints the water and includes actual sand to bring forth the actual presence and texture of the beach. The colors are careful and specific, creating a sense of reflection and nostalgia. There is something very private, yet public, about this piece. Each little container holds a piece of the puzzle, and together they make a statement about the world and life as a whole. I would love to know what he was thinking, but then again I don't. Constructing one's own personal relationship with a piece of art is the point of the experience. For a second I can feel as if that piece and I found each and something beautiful was shared.
For more information on these two shows please click here.

No comments: