Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Voice







I have mentioned in a previous post that artists acquire their own voice and through that voice their artwork becomes recognizable as their own. Many artists are aware of where their particular style comes from, whether it be their home town, or from studying under a particular genre of art or artist. Some artists have no idea where their style derived from, and it can be an interesting inner-journey for them to discover that. I have chosen an artist by the name of Sharon Cummings to use as an example to show how an artist's work becomes like a family. It became apparent to me that somewhere along the way Sharon has gravitated toward a sort of circular design. Even though each piece is unique, most of them share a orbital quality. This element in Sharon's work could resemble a sort of harmony within her, for circles are very powerful in art and design as a symbol of completeness. I think I fancied Sharon's work because I tend to incorporate circular features in my own work. It is important for a working artist to be aware and embrace their voice in order to be successful.

No comments: